Waiting Life

Words on a serviceable life from a working man near Washington, D.C.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

September 1, 2004

My thirty-second birthday.

Can't say I feel any different. It wasn't even my thirtieth that made me feel like I was getting old. The only birthday that ever had any effect on me (other than sixteenth and twenty-first, for obvious reasons) was my twenty-eighth.

When you hit twenty-eight, you can no longer say you're in your early/mid twenties. You can do that at twenty-five and even sorta get away with it at twenty-seven. Once you hit twenty-eight, you're pretty much thirty.

I usually work on my birthdays. I don't like going to bars or any of that socializing crap. Just so happened I was off today, my set schedule being what it was, and I didn't feel like picking up an extra shift. I stopped by the restaurant today to talk to somebody and get some video (more on that later). Not being much for subtlety, I told everyone I saw, "It's my birthday!" Hugs, handshakes, and happiness galore. After turning down a few drink offers (four p.m. is too early to drink when I'm not in the mood), I mentioned to a girl that I usually like to work on my birthdays. She said, "Yeah, you seem like the kind who likes to be doted on." Wasn't really sure how to take that. Then she said, "Sure, you'll talk about your birthdays now. But wait 'til you hit your thirties. Then you won't wanna talk about them at all." I told her I was now thirty-two. She said, "Oh," and laughed. A sort of insult and a roundabout compliment all in one minute from the same person.

I imagine I'll be at my computer all day today, taking breaks only to sort through a box or three of papers and electronics. Can't even say I'm all that in the mood to have sex today, although I'm pretty sure I will (sex is a quick and cheap present, you know). Not quite in the mood for sex today? I must be getting old.

This is a lame post, even by my pedantic ranting standards. I guess I really just wanted everyone to know it was my birthday.

But no one reads this blog yet, so what's the damn point, y'know?

Useless fact! Edgar Rice Burrough is ninety-seven years older than me. And today Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. celebrate their second anniversary. You go, Daphne and Freddie!

Useless rant! The word "arguably" is being used too much, and usually by wishy-washy pussies.

4 Comments:

  • At September 6, 2004 at 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess I really just wanted everyone to know it was my birthday.
    "happy birthday. may your writing prowess continue to amaze anonymous readers."

     
  • At September 6, 2004 at 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess I really just wanted everyone to know it was my birthday.
    "happy birthday. may your writing prowess continue to amaze anonymous readers."

     
  • At September 6, 2004 at 5:49 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    Thanks!

    For both the birthday wish and the very nicely written compliment.

    (But "Amaze?" Oh, you're just flattering me...)

     
  • At September 6, 2004 at 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (But "Amaze?" Oh, you're just flattering me...)


    I really thought you would say that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home